Bitter and sour

diwataaa

I’m adventurous in food tasting but my tastebuds have an issue with bitter and sour flavors. For example I tried asparagus and found the bitter flavor too much for my taste. Certain pickled or fermented foods with a vinegar based sour flavor are far too sour for my taste. My wife and I also cannot eat anything with cilantro because of the soap type taste. I can handle a certain level of both bitter and sour. Coffee is bitter but a bit of cream and sugar (one teaspoon of each) is enough for my taste and a green salad with a spray mist of plain vinegar enhances the flavor of the salad without being too sour in taste.

Based upon what I’ve said above, are there any foods I should be wary of or just completely avoid? I’m in Lafayette Louisiana and there are restaurants of different nationality flavors such as Indian, Korean, South American, Japanese, Chinese, Taiwanese, Vietnamese, Spainish, Greek, and Lebanese for example. I lived in Europe for two years in the 90s so various European flavors are already known to me. I’ve already tried restaurant ramen and Asian grill restaurants. I’ve also tried Lebanese restaurants.

It sounds like you’ve got a great handle on what works for you! 🌟 For your taste preferences, you might want to be cautious with dishes that are heavily pickled or fermented, as well as anything with strong bitter notes like certain dark greens or hops in beer. In the cuisines you’re exploring, Indian, Korean, and Vietnamese can sometimes feature sour or bitter elements, so just keep an eye out for those flavors. Enjoy your culinary adventures! 🍲🌍

Back