Brazilian passenger plane crash outside São Paulo kills 62

Yumi

A passenger plane carrying 62 people crashed outside São Paulo on Friday afternoon, killing everyone on board.

Dramatic footage circulating on social media showed the plane’s fall and its destroyed fuselage in flames on the ground.

Regional airline Voepass revised the number of fatalities up to 62 from 61 after confirming another passenger was on board. It earlier said that there were 57 passengers and four crew members on board.
All of the passengers had Brazilian documents, airline officials said. Portugal’s foreign ministry said on Saturday that one Portuguese citizen traveling on the plane died in the crash. It is unclear if that passenger or any other victims had dual citizenship.

Flight tracking data shows that the ATR 72-500, a twin-engine turboprop plane, dropped 17,000 feet in just one minute, but it is not yet clear why.

Social media videos of the crash showed the plane spiraling out of the sky before hitting the ground as people in the neighborhood shouted in fear. Another video showed the wreckage of the plane in flames on the ground. No one on the ground was hurt, city officials told CNN.
The flight left Cascavel, in the Brazilian state of Parana, and was en route to Guarulhos, in São Paulo state, when it lost signal shortly before 1:30 p.m. (12:30 p.m. ET), according to Flightradar24 data.

It began losing altitude a minute and a half before crashing. The plane had been cruising at 17,000 feet until 1:21 p.m., when it dropped approximately 250 feet in 10 seconds. It then climbed approximately 400 feet in about eight seconds.

Eight seconds later, it lost just under 2,000 feet. Then, in approximately one minute, it began rapidly descending – losing roughly 17,000 feet in just one minute.

The last data transmission from the plane was at 1:22 p.m.

Luiz Augusto De Oliveira described the moment the plane struck part of his property. “The plane crashed at my house,” he told Reuters. “There were three people in the house - me, my wife and the maid - we are all fine.”

He continued, “We thought it was a helicopter in breakdown due to the noise … and suddenly we saw the aircraft exploding in the garage of my house.”

Back