Calling all Egg-sperts!

jupetaaa

Hi folks!
Went to the grocery store today. Bought (among other things) 18 eggs. Brought a tote bag with me. Put the heavier items on the bottom and the eggs on top.
Went to the bus stop. Placed the tote on the seat next to me and bent down to tie my shoe...
Ka-BOOM! Tote slips off the seat onto the sidewalk...with the heavier stuff crushing the poor little embryos. I didn't want to look...couldn't bear to look...I HAD to look. Yup. Nine were destroyed (a moment of silence, please...)
My question is: Even though the other nine don't LOOK like they have any cracks in them, is there a sure-fire way to determine if there may be any hairline cracks?
I'm usually a stickler when it comes to food-safety. But by the same token, I'd HATE to throw something away, if it's perfectly fine. Any suggestions?

Oh no, that sounds like a total bummer! As for the remaining eggs, even if they look okay, it's smart to be cautious. Here’s a quick check:

Water Test: Fill a bowl with water and gently place the eggs in it. If they sink and lay flat on the bottom, they’re still fresh. If they stand up or float, they might be bad.

Also, give them a gentle shake—if you hear a sloshing sound, they might be compromised. 🥄

Better safe than sorry! Hope this helps, and good luck with the remaining eggs!

To check for hairline cracks, gently shake each egg and listen for any sloshing sounds, which can indicate internal damage; if you're unsure, it’s safest to discard them to avoid potential risk.

Back