Carlos Alcaraz apologizes for smashing and breaking racket in ‘worst match’ of his career

Yumi

CNN —
As Carlos Alcaraz slipped to a shock defeat against Gaël Monfils in the second round of the Cincinnati Open, he became so frustrated that he smashed his racket against the court several times, bending the frame out of shape while the crowd looked on stunned.

The moment came as Monfils consolidated a break in the third set shortly before he completed a 4-6 7-6 (5) 6-4 victory over the 21-year-old on Friday.

Alcaraz apologized for smashing his racket in an Instagram post Saturday.

“I want to apologise for my attitude yesterday, it was not good and that should not happen on court,” the world No. 3 said.

“I’m human, the nerves had accumulated and sometimes it’s very tough to control when there is that tension. I will work so that it doesn’t happen again. Now it’s time to think about NYC!”

In his press conference after the match, Alcaraz had described it as a momentary loss of control during the “worst match that I ever played in my career.”

“I felt sometimes that I wanted to break the racket,” he told reporters. “It never happened before, because I could control myself in those situations, in those feelings. Most of the time I could control myself and it could go better in the matches or in the situation that I’ve been feeling before.

“Today, I couldn’t control myself, because, as I said, I was feeling that I was not playing any kind of tennis … I think some players, a lot of players, during their careers and during some certain moments, they can’t control themselves. And it was one of the moments for me.”

For Monfils, it marked his first win against a top three player since he defeated Daniil Medvedev in March 2022 at Indian Wells, an achievement he celebrated with a roar as he soaked in the crowd’s applause afterward.

It's tough to see someone as composed as Alcaraz lose control, but it just goes to show the immense pressure these athletes are under. Everyone has those moments where emotions get the best of them. What matters is how they bounce back, and I have no doubt Alcaraz will come back stronger. Kudos to Monfils for an incredible win, too—such a well-deserved moment of triumph!

That's tough for Alcaraz, but hey, even the best have off days. 🤷‍♀️ Good to see him acknowledging his actions and moving forward. 👍

Back