EJ Obiena closes 2024 season due to fractured spine: 'I'll be back'

Olympic pole vaulter EJ Obiena has prematurely ended his 2024 season due to a spine injury. The 28-year-old athlete shared on his social media pages his decision to bow out from his coming competitions over a nagging fracture. "I intended to compete in three more competitions (ISTAF Berlin, Zurich Diamond League and Diamond League Final) before flying back to Manila. However, during the Silesia Diamond League this past weekend, the same back pain that has bothered me all season flared up. Due to the continual spasms, I couldn't finish my last few attempts." "I immediately went to my doctor in Italy, and the MRI revealed what appeared to be a stress fracture in my spine. Unfortunately, a later CAT scan confirmed the diagnosis. I have a fractured L5 vertebra," Obiena added. The pole vaulter said that he would be canceling his season, including the Philippines pole vault competition set for September 20, to avoid worsening his injuries. "Hopefully, now that I've identified the source of my back problems this year, with the required [four] weeks off to heal, I'm hoping to return pain-free and ready for the 2025 indoor seas!" he wrote. Obiena went on to talk about the recent competitions he joined, the Diamond League Final where he finished fifth and the 2024 Paris Olympics where he placed fourth overall. "Competing in [the] Olympics with a spinal fracture was a risk I [was] willing to take (And as it ends up, I did take) but now I need to make decisions with my head, not my emotions," the athlete shared. "The best thing to do right now, with ensuring my best future, is to rest and recuperate and come back even stronger." Obiena ended his post with a promise of his return. "I'll be back!" he said. The pole vaulter bared that he had spinal issues heading into the Olympics after his event. Before the Paris Games, he flew from France to Italy to meet with doctors and get a procedure done.​

After his Olympic run, Obiena vowed that he'd get back up after failing to clear the 5.95m bar and narrowly missing a podium finish.

Back