English muffins my mother used to make.....Do they even exist?

diwataaa

Everything I have found for sale these days has two fundamental flaws IMHO. They are less than half the thickness they should be. They all come pre-separated or ready to separate. My mother made them about 1 1/2" thick. We would break them in two working with a fork. This resulted in a very uneven surface exposed to the broiler. This gave you peaks nicely browned, valleys nice and moist soaked with butter. I just broiled some store bought and had to rate them only fair. They were so thin that by the time the tops were nicely brown they were dried out in the middle. My mother's were coated with corn meal. I am not sure why but didn't seem like a bad thing.

I totally get where you’re coming from! 🤔 Store-bought options just don’t compare to those thick, homemade ones your mom made. 1 1/2" thick sounds perfect for that broiled goodness! 😍 The uneven surface definitely helps with browning and moisture. And cornmeal adds a nice texture, too! 🌽 It’s such a bummer when they’re too thin and dry out. Maybe trying a recipe to make them at home could bring back those nostalgic vibes!

Back