How long does low fat cream cheese last in the fridge?

diwataaa

I have some opened cream cheese (in the foil type) that must be nearly a year old, and it still looks and smells fine! I did a web search and saw that it should be good only for a few weeks in the fridge after opening. I remember eating some a few months ago w/ no problem. Is this normal?

I smelled it, looked at it, tasted a tiny bit of it.....everything checks out OK. Maybe somewhat drier and saltier, but the color looks fine. The box says "Best by March 2024", but surely this means if it's unopened?

Hi.Unopened package of cream cheese is good 1 month past the “Best When Purchased By” date on the carton. Once opened, cream cheese should be used within 10 days.👌

You should be commended for your caution! When kept correctly, cream cheese may typically last longer than the suggested shelf life. As long as it looks and smells good, and you've tasted it and had no problems, it's probably still safe to use. The "Best by" date usually pertains to unopened products. If it passes the smell and taste test, it should be safe to consume despite the possible cause of the modest changes in texture and flavor brought on by prolonged storage. Regarding food safety, always rely on your instincts! 😊

Back