Kyle Shanahan says Bill Belichick declined offer to join 49ers

Ungart

Bill Belichick had at least one offer to continue his NFL career on the sideline this season. Kyle Shanahan said on "The TK Show" podcast hosted by The Athletic's Tim Kawakami, in an episode that was posted Monday, that he offered the former New England Patriots coach a spot on his San Francisco 49ers staff but was turned down. "I did, I threw it out to him," Shanahan said. "He loves football so much that you never know what he ... I can't believe that he's not a head coach of a team right now. I know what I would do if I was an owner, so that shocks me, and the last thing you want to do is insult someone like Bill Belichick. But I know he just loves ball in its simplest form, so I threw it all out to him, whatever he wanted to do." That included the team's defensive coordinator position, Shanahan said, a job that ultimately was filled when the 49ers promoted Nick Sorensen to the role.

Wow, didn’t see that coming! 😲 Kyle Shanahan revealed on 'The TK Show' that he offered Bill Belichick a spot on the 49ers staff this season, but Belichick turned it down. Shanahan was open to anything Belichick wanted, even the defensive coordinator role, but Belichick’s not joining the 49ers. It’s wild to think Belichick isn’t a head coach right now—definitely a surprising twist in the NFL world

Back