Padilla admits asking sibling not to run for Senate in 2025

Cookie2122

Senator Robin Padilla said Tuesday that he asked one of his siblings not to run for Senate as he calls out political dynasties as “morally wrong.” Padilla said his sibling, whom he did not name, is being persuaded to seek a Senate post next year. I myself would like to admit that one of my siblings is being pushed to run for senator. I already told him, ‘Have some mercy, this is enough’...I think this is morally wrong. I don’t think it’s right that only a few families serve the public. The actor-turned-politician was not the first in his family to enter politics. Their late father Roy Padilla Sr. was a former Camarines Norte governor from 1986 to 1988. His elder brothers Roy Padilla Jr. and Ricarte Padilla also served as governors of the province. Padilla filed Senate Bill 2730 in July seeking to provide an enabling law that would implement the 1987 Constitution's anti-dynasty provision. Under the proposed measure, election candidates must have a sworn statement with the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) stating that they have no political dynasty relationship with any incumbent public official. The bill also provides that candidates may face petition for disqualification before the COMELEC on grounds of political dynasty. Padilla also filed in August Resolution of Both House No. 9, which seeks to prohibit relatives of any incumbent government officials running for any national posts or in the same area. Padilla said that he would not run for any elective posts in the future if an anti-political dynasty law is passed soon. According to Padilla, data from 1988 to 2019 showed that the number of governors with at least one relative in office (dynasty) increased by almost 39 percentage points, from 41% in 1988 to 80% in 2019. The dynasty proportion of vice governors rose from 18% in 1988 to 68% in 2019.​

Back