Saints backup QB Jake Haener has rare form of skin cancer

diwataaa

New Orleans Saints backup quarterback Jake Haener said he's been diagnosed with skin cancer. The 25-year-old player did not disclose what type of cancer he has but said that it's rare to see it at his age. "It's not going be like a life-threatening thing right now," said Haener, who was sporting a small bandage on his face during Friday's practice session. Haener said he will have a consultation with doctors Thursday of next week to determine the next steps. "I have to get a different procedure done on my face," he said. "So we're just trying to take the necessary steps in order to see how long I can wait until I have to get that procedure done." Haener said he first noticed something was wrong when an "odd-looking bump" formed on his face and continued to grow. A biopsy done the week before camp revealed that it was cancerous. "I was kind of worried about it; my family was kind of worried about it," he said.

That’s tough news for Jake Haener. It’s brave of him to share his diagnosis, and it’s good to hear it’s not life-threatening right now. Wishing him the best for his upcoming consultation and procedure. 🏈💪

Back