Sea scallops vs. bay scallops

utlom

I often see both kinds sold side-by-side in grocery stores. Bay scallops are always cheaper and smaller in size than sea scallops. So when I get a craving, I usually buy bay scallops, then cook them. I figure: since it's the same mollusks, they gotta taste similar enough, so I might as well save some money. But I also had sea scallops in restaurants on a few occasions. I found them to be more tender in texture, but otherwise, the two seemed pretty similar to me.

But how true is that, really? Is there a significant difference between the two, enough to warrant paying the higher price? I'm aware that the price difference is due to greater difficulty in harvesting (usually by dredging machines), since seas are undoubtedly deeper than bays. And are they interchangeable? Can I use the cheaper variety when the recipe calls for simply "scallops"?

I often see both kinds sold side-by-side in grocery stores. Bay scallops are always cheaper and smaller in size than sea scallops. So when I get a craving, I usually buy bay scallops, then cook them. I figure: since it's the same mollusks, they gotta taste similar enough, so I might as well save some money. But I also had sea scallops in restaurants on a few occasions. I found them to be more tender in texture, but otherwise, the two seemed pretty similar to me.

But how true is that, really? Is there a significant difference between the two, enough to warrant paying the higher price? I'm aware that the price difference is due to greater difficulty in harvesting (usually by dredging machines), since seas are undoubtedly deeper than bays. And are they interchangeable? Can I use the cheaper variety when the recipe calls for simply "scallops"?
Sea scallops are larger, tender, and sweeter, while bay scallops are smaller, delicate, and milder. Both are delicious! 😋

Back