‘They told me to strip.’ Former Palestinian detainee says he was sexually abused in an Israeli prison

Yumi

Gaza and Jerusalem, Tel Aviv (CNN —
Ibrahim Salem, 34, said he felt a deep sense of dread when a soldier ordered him to undress during his captivity in Israel’s notorious Sde Teiman prison.
“They told me to strip,” the Palestinian said, reflecting on the torment he endured during his eight months in Israeli detention. “That’s when I knew I was beginning my journey to hell.”

An Israeli airstrike hit Salem’s home in the Jabalya refugee camp in northern Gaza on December 8, killing eight of his relatives and injuring his wife and two of his three children, Salem told CNN. Four days later, while staying with his children who were being treated in the intensive care unit of Kamal Adwan Hospital in northern Gaza, he was arrested by Israeli troops during a raid, he said.
https://edition.cnn.com/2024/05/10/middleeast/israel-sde-teiman-detention-whistleblowers-intl-cmd
“I was confused. Why was I arrested? I have nothing to do with resistance groups … There were no accusations against me,” Salem told CNN in an interview at a displacement camp in Al-Mawasi, southern Gaza. “I am a barber.”

Back