U.S. star Christen Press plays 1st game after 2-year injury nightmare

Ungart

Longtime United States women's national soccer team forward and two-time World Cup winner Christen Press played her first game in more than two years on Thursday, appearing as a substitute in Angel City FC's shootout victory over San Diego Wave FC. Press came on in the 88th minute of Angel City's win on penalty kicks in the NWSL x LIGA MX Femenil Summer Cup match, and she was greeted with an ovation from the crowd at Titan Stadium in Fullerton, California. Press converted a penalty kick in the shootout after the teams went scoreless in regulation time. "It was definitely a nostalgic feeling. When you get to play a soccer game, it's a miracle," Press told CBS Sports Network after the contest. "I was so excited, I was very nervous. I felt the love and support from this amazing soccer community that was here tonight." She last played on June 11, 2022, when she tore her right ACL in a National Women's Soccer League match.

Such an exciting moment for Christen Press! After more than two years away, she made a triumphant return, coming on as a substitute and scoring in the shootout for Angel City FC. ✨ The crowd’s ovation and her emotional reaction show just how special this comeback is. Here’s to more amazing moments ahead for her and the team!

Back