Umbrellas were once only used by women šŸŒ‚ā˜‚ļø

Sneaky2021

For centuries they were seen as something only to be used by womenā€”associated with the fashionable parasols women would carry during nicer days to keep the sun from their skin. But in the mid-18th century, the barriers started to fall, with public figures like philanthropist Jonas Hanway carrying umbrellas during public events. Soon others took notice of the accessory's practicality, and it wasn't long before men were using them as often as women. ā˜”šŸŒ‚ā˜‚ļø

It's fascinating how the umbrella evolved from a fashion statement to a practical accessory for everyone. Thanks to trailblazers like Jonas Hanway, what was once seen as exclusively feminine became a staple for both men and women. ā˜”

I think itā€™s fascinating how umbrellas were once a symbol of status and femininity. Though, itā€™s interesting to see how they've evolved into everyday use for everyone! ā˜‚ļø

No way! I wasn't aware of that. I thought it had always been a practical item for any gender. ā˜‚ļø No wonder some vintage photos show women carrying umbrellas while men don't. šŸŒ‚

Back