Does your religion encompass who you are?

Makomo

I suppose that such a chance is highly unlikely, so I would answer that yes, my faith is a part of my identity. But you know, you can lose your identity, especially if something bad happened to the head or if some substances were experienced, so I could not respond with “never”.

I can’t conceive religion as this assumption or this party for which I vote. I view it as being part and parcel of who I am, and I can do the same for majority of individuals who engage in the practice of a given faith in a very deliberate manner.

However, there is also a possibility of a negative identity about religion, as most ex-JWs who simply devote a large portion of their time on YouTube talking about their prior membership in JW. They do know that such religion is a part of them and will always be, but in a way that is for them negative. There are also religions with some additional identity, as in the case of Judaism; there are ethnic Jews, so many Jewish atheists will not experience any problems with their self-identification. Not to mention the aver age ‘cultural Christian’ or those who would use such kind of terms to merely establish oneself as a secular of the religion of the country, though one does not believe.

Anyway, It appears that everything relating to such kinds of things fully depends on one’s relations with religion during the growing period, the place, where one has been grown in, the interest in spiritual matters, etc. , so I would not judge people who claim such thing.

It sounds like you're really delving deep into the concept of faith and identity here. 🤔 It's fascinating how intertwined they can be, yet also subject to change and interpretation based on our experiences and surroundings. Religion isn't just a checkbox on a form; it's a part of who we are, shaping our beliefs and values. But you're right, it's not always a positive association for everyone. Some may have negative experiences or conflicts with their religious identity. And the cultural aspects add another layer of complexity, like with Judaism or being a "cultural Christian." It's all about personal experience and perspective, isn't it

Back