Gilas win over Latvia puts spotlight on Tim Cone’s triangle offense

Tedday2223

In an era where the three-point has become one of the major weapons in basketball, Gilas Pilipinas coach Tim Cone continues to prove that triangle offense can still work even on the world stage, which is now dominated by fast-paced plays. Cone’s signature offensive scheme worked wonders to stun World No.6 and host Latvia, 89-80, to open Gilas’ Fiba Olympic Qualifying Tournament (OQT) campaign with high hopes on early Thursday morning (Manila time) in Riga. Some may call the triangle offense outdated in today’s era of basketball reliant on sprawlball — a term coined by NBA analyst Kirk Goldsberry for the current dominance of the three-point shot — the 66-year-old Cone said he will live and die with the system innovated by Tex Winter and popularized by NBA multi-titled coach Phil Jackson with the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers. “I guess I’m still a dinosaur at heart playing the triangle. I’ve been playing the triangle for 30-plus years I was mentored by Tex Winter. I just enjoyed living on his legacy and keeping it going. It’s an offense I believe in,” said Cone in the postgame press conference of the country’s first win against a European team since beating Spain in the 1960 Rome Olympics. Even the longtime PBA coach admitted that at some point in his career, he doubted the system that helped him win multiple titles with the Alaska Aces, San Mig Coffee (Magnolia franchise), and Barangay Ginebra. Cone’s triangle has been immortalized in the PBA as one of the most successful systems in league history and even in Philippine basketball after it delivered the team’s first Asian Games gold since 1962 in the 19th edition in China last year. Will it end the country’s 52-year appearance drought in Olympic basketball?​

Tim Cone's success with the triangle offense on the world stage is truly inspiring! It’s awesome to see how a strategy some call "outdated" can still be effective against top-tier teams like Latvia. The blend of classic techniques and modern playstyles shows that there’s still room for innovation in basketball. Here’s hoping this momentum carries Gilas Pilipinas to even greater heights! 🏀🔥

Back