Olympics Trivia: What's Inside The Box Given To Medalists?

Sneaky2021

It's the official 2024 Paris Olympic and Paralympic Games poster. Just a poster? you’d say. Hold your horses. The poster is designed by Ugo Gattoni, a French illustrator whose work includes the "Bicycle" project for the Olympic Games London in 2012 and scarf designs for high-end fashion brand, Hermes. The illustration was commissioned by Joachim Roncin, the director for design of the Paris Olympic. "I wanted to tell the story of Paris 2024 …so that there would be an overview of the entire project, to take sport out of the sporting arenas," Roncin tells Olympic.com. The poster is illustrated in great detail using many French references and symbols with the intention of "telling a story within a story." The story starts from the vantage point of a diver "who is watching the show unfold before his eyes in a sports arena made up of Paris’s greatest monuments: from Pont Alexandre III to an Eiffel Tower decorated with the Stade de France, and the Arc de Triomphe through which the Paris passes, there are many different references," says Olympic.com. Gattoni created the poster manually without the help of AI and spent a total of 2000 hours working on it. He tells Olympic.com he wasted no time and immediately worked on an idea on his way back to his studio after a meeting with Roncin. "I came home here to the studio and I already had the stadium in mind on my journey back. I wanted to make a Paris stadium. I had even already made a first sketch."​

Wow, 2000 hours of Gattoni's dedication! 😯 In an age where AI is widely favored, it's refreshing to know an artist like him invested so much time and effort into creating the poster by hand. 🖐️

Back