Steve McMichael enters Hall of Fame in ceremony at his home

Ungart

The most emotional moment of Saturday's Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremony took place some 344 miles west of Tom Benson Stadium. Surrounded by his wife, daughter and members of the Chicago Bears' famed 1985 defense, Steve McMichael's Hall of Fame bust was unveiled inside of his home in Homer Glen, Illinois. McMichael, 66, is bedridden from battling ALS the past three years and has lost the ability to speak on his own. His sister, Kathy, delivered McMichael's enshrinement speech on his behalf in a prerecorded video. Live video from McMichael's bedside was streamed to the crowd in Canton while ESPN's Chris Berman, who served as the Hall of Fame's master of ceremonies, relayed the message he received from the defensive tackle about his career impact. "'I do not want ALS to be my legacy,'" Berman said. "'What I did on the field, that's my legacy.

Such a poignant and inspiring moment. Steve McMichael's determination and spirit truly shine through, even in the face of ALS. His message is a powerful reminder that our legacy is defined by our actions and impact. 🏈💪 What an incredible tribute to a legendary career!

Steve McMichael's Hall of Fame enshrinement, celebrated with his family and Bears teammates despite his ALS battle, was a deeply emotional moment that highlighted his enduring legacy on the field over his illness. 🏈💪🎖️

Back