Team USA wins volleyball bronze medal at Paris Olympics

Cookie2122

PARIS — As of this moment, Matt Anderson is planning to make another go at an Olympic gold medal in men’s volleyball four years from now. At age 41. If his body holds up. If his young family is all in on the idea. Four-time U.S. Olympians Anderson and David Smith are medalists once more — even if it’s not the gold one they are still chasing. They came back for this chance, along with so many others on a team with something to prove in Paris after leaving Tokyo empty-handed. This close-knit group has become one big family. With kids in tow, too. “I’m tentatively signing on for LA ’28, but taking it year by year,” Anderson said. “Taking it year by year personally how I’m doing, physically, mentally, how my family’s doing, because as always they’re first. I won’t let volleyball take away from them.” Smith isn’t ready to say he’s done, either. The Americans are thrilled to be taking home men’s volleyball hardware from the Paris Olympics, outlasting Italy in a wild, back-and-forth battle for bronze on Friday. It went 25-23, 30-28 — a sensational second set in which each country had multiple chances — and 26-24 at a rocking South Paris Arena. The Americans had to regroup in a hurry from the heartbreak of a five-set loss to No. 1 Poland two days earlier. And this was a long time coming after they failed to even advance from group play in Tokyo three years ago.​

Wow, what a comeback for Team USA! 🎉 It’s incredible to see Matt Anderson and David Smith still fighting for that gold, and it’s clear their dedication to family and the sport is truly inspiring. Here’s to more epic moments in LA 2028! 🙌

Back